Global commodity prices and food security: Navigating new challenges and learning from the past
Agricultural commodity prices are reaching levels close to those witnessed in 2007/08 and 2010/11, and fertilizer prices have also increased significantly. Repercussions from the invasion of Ukraine are creating significant additional pressures on prices.
This policy seminar will present global data on key agricultural commodity, energy, transportation, and fertilizer markets to paint a comprehensive picture of price trends and their underlying causes and will include a comparison to the earlier price spikes of 2007/08 and 2010/11.
This event is the first in an IFPRI seminar series on Food and Fertilizer Price Trends: Impacts on global food security
- Johan Swinnen, Global Director, CGIAR Systems Transformation Science Group & Director General, IFPRI
- John Baffes, Senior Economist, Macroeconomics, Trade & Investments, World Bank Group
- Inbal Becker-Rashef, Director, NASA Harvest and Research Professor, University of Maryland
- Alison Bentley, Director, Global Wheat Program, International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT)
- Joseph Glauber, Senior Research Fellow, IFPRI
- Charlotte Hebebrand, Director of Communications and Public Affairs, IFPRI
- Seth Meyer, Chief Economist, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Arnaud Petit, Executive Director, International Grains Council (IGC)
- Lee Ann Jackson, Head of Division, Agro-food Trade and Markets, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)